Saturday 5 October 2013

That Cake



My lovely daughter and I have just returned from a few days in Lucca, Tuscany, with my very dear friend J. I have only ever been to Rome which, after a near miss with a pick pocket, I was left feeling slightly disappointed. But Lucca was a wholly different experience altogether. I can see why J loves it so much and returns every year (check out her blog - Paninigirl@wordpress)

Even on a budget, Lucca was not an expensive place to eat and the food was so obviously prepared with pride; from the simple pizza slices to the beautiful cakes and colourful gelato. This cake was no exception. Bought by the lovely Bonnie for a supper at her apartment, it came encased in a folded gold card box, looking like a gift from Melchior. a light layer of dark chocolate mousse sandwiched between two layers of soaked sponge and then entirely enrobed in a thin layer of Italian meringue which was scorched gold with a blow torch. Sprinkled with fine cocoa. I have yet to try and make it as I do not own said blow torch. Next stop Amazon.

Watch this space . . .

2 comments:

  1. Simply put, this is an amazing re-creation of such a fabulous dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay-I just realized this isn't your recreation, but I know yours was just as good!

    ReplyDelete